03 March 2012

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

I abandoned this book about 25 years ago.  I just couldn't take Sir Walter Scott's prolix writing style, not the way I was then - too much time, not enough patience.  Nowadays, I find I have plenty of patience but not enough time.

Recently, a wise voice from my past reminded me that there was more to Scott than wordiness.  His novel were popular in the past, my friend said, because they contained entertaining and thrilling stories, and if you take the time, they will work their magic.

So I tried Ivanhoe again.  It's a long book, but this time I was ready.  I had to get some way into it, get accustomed to the author's style and pace, get immersed in the action before I found I was hooked.  I actually began to look forward to my daily fix of Ivanhoe.  I'm so glad that my friend encouraged me to practice patience and persistence.

Ivanhoe is set in England during the reign of Richard the Lionheart.  Five generations after the Norman invasion of Saxon England, Scott asks us to believe that there is still a fierce resentment on the part of the Saxon nobility towards the Norman conquerors (who are now technically Plantagenets). Wilfred of Ivanhoe loves the beautiful Rowena, the daughter of the best-placed Saxon claimant to the throne.  On returning from crusading in the Holy Land, Ivanhoe is seriously injured and is placed in the care of the beautiful Rebecca, a healer.  Lots of stuff happens involving Richard, Robin Hood, and a bunch of bigoted Knights.  There's peril galore!

A good deal of the story revolves around Rebecca, the daughter of Isaac of York.  Both Rebecca and her father are of the Jewish faith, and they are threatened by an almost ubiquitous anti-semitism.  It is odd that a book named after a Christian knight should be so centred around two Jewish people.  It may have something to do with the burgeoning movements to grant full civil rights to Jews and Catholics in Britain at the time Scott was writing it.

Actually, there are quite a few odd things about Ivanhoe, but I won't spoil the fun for anyone who wants to read it.  I enjoyed it very much.  I am glad my old friend encouraged me to persevere.  I encourage you to persevere too.  Yes, you!

Ivanhoe was first published in 1820.  I read an ebook version of it. Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment